Saturday, January 1, 2011

Let's Try This Again

I am giving this one more go this year.

Last January, I started a blog (through Wordpress) and attempted a 100 book reading challenge.  I had the best of intentions. 

Here's where those went awry:

1.  My reading preferences were mostly YA focused.  This in itself was not a problem, but...I fell HARD off the progress wagon in August.  Around book #42. 

2.  I got a new job, the drama surrounding which erupted in June and continued through the beginning of September.  This stress was the beginning of the end for my well-intentioned little blog. 

3.  The new job?  Elementary School Librarian.  I love the job.  Adore it.  But:  I have, ridiculously, fallen out of the habit of reading.  *scratches head*

Yes.  This is paradoxical.  I realize.  
A librarian who has no time to read.

4.  Ok, so I didn't STOP reading.  But for some dumb reason I wasn't viewing the 5,000 picture books I read a week (slightly exaggerated) to be real reading.  Like if I listed those I was cheating. 

5.  I realized if I was going to redeem myself AT ALL, I needed to rethink my plan.  I made a number of conclusions:
  • I need to find a way to legitimately honor all of the children's/picture books I read and somehow keep that progress separate from my other reading.  
  • I need to force myself to stick with my reading by setting some realistic goals that won't kill me.
  • I can't commit to a formal reading challenge.  I must compete only with myself.  And maybe my sister, if I can get her to go along with me.  
  • I have decided to switch platforms from wordpress to blogger, since I keep finding nifty flash widgets and whatnot that wordpress doesn't like.  Clean slate, and all that rot.
So that's the long and short of it.

Trying this again.  So, those of you jumping on board my little ship to Crazytown, whether for the first time or out of follower's loyalty,  I thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment