Saturday, January 8, 2011

Picture Book Candy #1: Little Lamb to the Rescue

I have a dangerous and potentially expensive obsession with really beautiful picture books.

It started a few years ago when I picked up a copy of Miriam Moss' The Snow Bear (Dutton Juvenile, 2001) and gave it to a friend. 

The Snow Bear

Dutton has done several of these books, with absolutely luscious illustrations and embossing.  I followed this purchase with A.J. Wood's The Little Penguin (Dutton Juvenile, 2002).  And promptly fell in love with Stephanie Boey's illustrations...

The Little Penguin

Later, I acquired Erica Briers' Little Duck Lost  (2004)...

Little Duck Lost

Since then I've been on the hunt for more of Stephanie Boey's work. My latest acquisition is another Briers/Boey team-up, Little Lamb to the Rescue.  

This is a book so hard to track down I can only find one picture--

The Runaway Chick & Little Lamb to the Rescue Embossed Books

It's deliciously illustrated, embossed, and just a wonderful book.  No, I'm not giving it away as a gift.  Too pretty and too hard to find.  

Still looking for The Runaway Chick (peeking out from underneath in the above picture) and The Little Reindeer to add to my collection...

The Little Reindeer

And The Little Beaver...

The Little Beaver

These are honestly some of the most gorgeous books I've seen.  And, as is usually the case with books I fall in love with, most of them are out of print--but still obtainable.  

Definitely drool-worthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment